- Born:24 August 1987 (32 years)
Olympic heavyweight champion Teddy Riner made light work of former world silver medallist David Moura (BRA) in the last contest at the first edition of the Brasilia Grand Slam. Riner moved to 4-0 against Brazil’s man-mountain as he rushed past the home hope in 20 seconds by ippon from an o-soto-makikomi. Read more
Brazil and Canada seemed to be the two most dominant nations in this moment at the forthcoming Judo Pan American Championships held in Lima, Peru, this week. The Pan Americans are strong at level in both heavyweight categories but perhaps the most eye-catching division in for women U57kg. However Jessica Klimkait will be missing in Lima, so no Canadian clash, but perhaps Christa Deguchi and Rafaela Silva may battle as highest seeded players. Read more
This week the Grand Slam in Brasilia was made official after months of negotiations, an huge opportunity for the Brazilian athletes to register with four athletes in a Grand Slam where 1000 points are at stake for the winner. The Brazilian team is still leaning on a lot of experience but a new generation is knocking on the door for quite some time. Some of the older generation athletes are in Antalya for the Grand Prix. The IJF asked them their comments on this weekend’s main event. Read more
Tamerlan Bashaev of Russia struck Grand Slam gold for the first time in his career by defeating Olympic bronze medallist Or Sasson (ISR) in the closing seconds of their +100kg final. World Judo Masters bronze medallist Bashaev dropped under his Israeli rival with his trademark seoi-nage for a waza-ari score with four seconds left on the clock to end the tournament on a high for the hosts. Read more
Georgian World champion Guram Tushishvili underlined his superiority at the helm of the men’s heavyweight category as he won his second World Judo Masters crown. Tushishvili bombarded double Olympic bronze medallist Rafael Silva (BRA) with attacks and the Brazilian crumbled under the intense onslaught from Georgia’s man of the moment. Read more
- 14 Dec 2018Inal Tasoev next challenge for World Champion Tushishvili?
- 25 Sep 2018Preview +100kg: Without Riner the heavyweight title is at stake
- 9 Sep 2018Brazil fits in talents but potential medallist are getting older
- 9 Jan 2018It's time for World ranking leader David Moura
- 18 Dec 2017Which World Ranking Leaders take 50,000 dollars?
- 18 Dec 2017Guram the Great beats world number one Moura
- 12 Dec 20171800 points and dollars for grab for the Masters winner in St. Petersburg
- 3 Dec 2017Yusei Ogawa wins must-see 14-minute final against returning Krpalek