- Born:31 January 1992 (26 years)
London 2012 Olympic champion and Rio 2016 Olympic bronze medallist Lasha Shavdatuashvili of Georgia started as the top seed at the Grand Prix in Tbilisi and came through five testing contests to win his third Grand Prix title. World number five Shavdatuashvili won four of his five contests by ippon and was the crowd favourite on day two. Read more
The venue for the Grand Prix in Tbilisi will be packed with men mainly to watch men. Women’s judo hasn’t developed very well yet in Georgia, but there’s enough to look forward to. Still the men set the tone for Georgia and on the second day Lasha Shavdatuashvili is one of the men to watch. He knows and was special guest at the draw for this Grand Prix on Thursday. Read more
Youngster Akil Gjakova of Kosovo made history for his country for the second successive event to maintain his imperious start to 2018. Gjakova, 22, whose older sister Nora Gjakova lost out in the second round of the U57kg category in Paris, became the first male judoka from Kosovo to win a Grand Prix medal in January, but that was just the warm-up. Read more
World champion Hashimoto Soichi won his second World Judo Masters title in a row as he returned to the top of the podium after a minor blip at home when he won bronze at the Tokyo Grand Slam two weeks ago. The 26-year-old made sure that he will finish the year with number one spot on the World Ranking List to pocket a $50,000 bonus and all the bragging rights at home. Read more
Japan captured another gold medal, their fifth in total and eight medals in total counting juist three days of fighting in Budapest. Soichi Hashimoto was the expected winner, and despite 73 judoka in this category U73kg, still the favourites were able to win the medal. Ganbaatar Odbayar was more of a surprise medal for Mongolia, another one from this relative new judo country. Read more
- 30 Aug 2017Hashimoto vs An? Or European influence. World Preview U73kg
- 26 Jul 2017Tough choices in Georgian selection for Worlds in Budapest
- 23 Apr 2017Georgian men retain European team title in thriller against Russia
- 19 Apr 2017European Judo Championships Preview U73kg: Rematch of Orujov vs Shavdatuashvili?
- 25 Feb 2017Clarisse Agbegnenou back on track with victory in Düsseldorf
- 25 Feb 2017Denis Iartcev starts his year with convincing victory in Dusseldorf
- 17 Dec 2016Sagaredjo Superstars continues European Club success
- 15 Aug 2016Could we have seen Fabio Basile coming?